Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Winter Knitting Revisited

There's been a decent amount of sunshine, the 500 is over, and I sincerely hope we've seen the last of the snow. That probably means it's time for me to go over my list of winter knitting goals, and see how I did. This is not going to be pretty.

Edit: Ali, of Skeins Her Way, has brought back the "Summer Knitting Goals" contest that inspired me to do this in the first place. So if I'm really lucky, I'll be adding to the to-do list!

Out of the original list of 13 things to knit, I've finished exactly one - the Christmas Socks - and I didn't finish those until after 12th Night. A handful of other projects sneaked onto the list a bit later:
  1. Silk toe socks
  2. Norwegian Socks
  3. Fiber Fish Mittens
  4. Killer Hat
  5. Lickety Split Socks
  6. Jacobean Socks
Of those, I've finished half: the toe socks, the Jacobean socks, and the Killer Hat. I'm going to give myself extra credit on the hat, since I've knitted five of the darned things. Even counting each hat as a finished object that negates something else on the list, I'm at 50%. If I just average in all the hats, I'm at 38%. I'm not really improving performance, here.

There were, I should note, a few other projects that never made it to the list. The Zombie socks are the only notable one, although I'm also quite pleased with my Obama hat. If I try to bring all the undeclared projects into the list, the dishcloths for the Yarn Harlot are really going to hurt me in the completing-things department. And I only finished half the set of Sock Wars socks before I died, so that doesn't look so good, either.

The non-knitting list isn't much better.

I cleaned the apartment, but only the visible parts. It's still a mess. I haven't done any work on photo albums. My dead computer has gone untouched. I sold my old car and replaced it with a new one, so that sort of counts as "fixing," but the person who got the old one has a "to-do" list that keeps growing.

The one thing I managed was to work for the Obama campaign - having the still-going primary helped there. I didn't do as much as I'd like, but I've discovered that I really hate knocking on doors and making phone calls to strangers, so it's been a learning experience.

Now it's time for the new list. When I started it, I didn't know I'd be planning a wedding.
  1. Amanda's Sockday Socks
  2. Finish the Dog Sweaters
  3. Travelling Socks, if I can figure out how to knit them
  4. Reversai Socks
  5. Lickety Split socks (in time for my birthday, although I probably won't need them then)
  6. The Red Scarf
  7. Finish the Kauni Cardigan in time to wear next fall
  8. Avoid the temptation to cast on "Isabella" until I've finished the Kauni Cardigan
  9. "Hope" socks, in time for November
  10. Preemie caps for any remaining primaries
  11. Deliver the IN preemie caps
  12. Other Obama charity knitting
  13. My Hogwarts kit, for the swap
  14. Join the SP12 swap
  15. My Wedding Shawl
  16. Fiber Fish mittens
  17. Bavarian Strolling socks
  18. Sidewinders socks
  19. Bulgarian Rose socks
  20. Cotton socks
  21. Coriolis socks
  22. The "Walkies" pattern
  23. Nordic Socks
  24. March/April Sock Club socks
  25. May/June Sock Club socks
  26. Something fun - preferably with a fish!
I think that's it. I hope that's it. I'll be resisting the temptation to do hand-knit attendant gifts, I think.

In the non-knitting activities, I have
  1. Book a wedding location and date
  2. Go over my new car to make sure everything works
  3. Clean the apartment. Seriously.
  4. Empty one box of papers a month, including putting away all the stuff I keep.
  5. Finish that silk dress from last year
  6. Write an article for the Indiana Historical Society
  7. Finish my Munich/Greece photo album
  8. Put together an Oldenburg album
  9. Make new SCA garb
  10. Finish my Viking shoes
  11. Make beads again.
Let's see how productive the summer can be!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Alison said...

Wow! I love to see ambitious lists! If you finish a fraction of your list, you'll be doing great! There is nothing wrong with dreaming big, in my opinion.
Have a great summer, and good luck with your goals (and in the contest)!
Happy knitting-
ali

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home