Thursday, May 29, 2008

Secret Pal 12

I've given in to temptation and joined Secret Pal 12 - another international exchange of knitting goodies. I know I have enough knitting stuff already, but it's so much fun - and I've gotten to know (or re-know) several other knitters while doing this, so that part has been really nice.

So here are my answers for the Secret Pal 12 questionnaire. I have similar sets of answers from Secret Pal 10, the 2007 Hurricane Sock Party, and Secret Pal 8.

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Natural fibers, especially 100% wool, especially when it's superwash. I'm not a big fan of synthetics, although I'll use them when appropriate (I'm knitting a bunch of acrylic preemie caps right now). I've still never tried knitting with linen.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I have a nice holder for DPNs that was a gift from Darlene, but most other needles and hooks are not so much "stored" as "scattered".

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I've been knitting about 28 years. I learned in Bluebirds, from my aunt, and from a book (it took a few tries). I'd call myself an advanced knitter. I pick things up from books pretty easily, usually.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Yes, my Amazon wish list is here. I'll have a wedding registry soon, but there probably won't be much yarn on it.

5. What's your favorite scent?
light florals - lilac, lavender. Anything fresh and crisp - I'm not such a fan of the heavy stuff.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
I eat sweets occasionally - usually cookies and pastries more than candy. I like all kinds of things, especially candy with nuts and/or mint, and prefer dark over milk chocolate. Chocolate is a migraine trigger, so I only indulge in the good stuff.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I spin a little, with a drop spindle. I do lampwork, embroidery, other needlework, and I sew. We're a pretty crafty household - while I'm writing, my boyfriend is bottling some homemade hard cider, and sewing a leather pouch.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I like a little bit of everything, although I'm not very cool, musically. When the "Yes, we can" video for Barack Obama came out I knew enough to guess that the people involved were probably famous singers, but couldn't identify any of them. I can play MP3s.

9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
Blue, green, purple. I'm usually not a big fan of browns and 70s colors, but I wouldn't say there's anything I can't stand.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I live with my fiance right now, but he'll be moving away in the fall. We have two VeryBadDogs.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
I wear scarves, hats, and mittens. I haven't worn a poncho since I was 5 or 6, but that's more a reflection of my commitment to big knitting projects than of my taste.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Socks! Bags are cool too, and I'm trying to get going with shawls. I really NEED to make shawls.

13. What are you knitting right now?
Socks for a sockday exchange, something for the Hogwarts exchange, preemie caps for charity, the Kauni Cardigan, and I have a bunch of WIPs that I can't touch until I finish the sockday socks.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Yes! Like to make 'em, too.

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I'll use both. Usually I turn to straights, but circulars are great for on-the-go projects. Bamboo is my favorite material, but I'll use others.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
No.

17. How old is your oldest UFO?
32 years or 11 years, depending on whether we're talking about knitting, or needlework in general.

18. What is your favorite holiday?
Race Day, and the 4th of July

19. Is there anything that you collect?
Fish, a few hedgehog-things, and random stuff. Someday I'll get into glass collecting.

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
No subscriptions. I can't think of anything in particular - but new stuff is always fun!

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I'm about to start lace design, and moebius knitting. That should keep me busy for awhile. Sometime I want to try double knitting.

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Yes! My feet are 8.25" around and 9.25" long. I wear a size 38 Birkenstock.

23. When is your birthday?
June 15

24. Are you on Ravelry? If so, what's your ID?
VeryBadDogs

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home