Monday, May 12, 2008

Ft. Meigs

It's been a lively weekend. I've been working on my Sock Wars weapon, but bleusheep will be happy to know that I've been distracted by all sorts of other things.

We spent Saturday at Baron Wars, an SCA event in Perrysburg, Ohio. This is a really fun event, because it's held at Fort Meigs, which was built during the War of 1812. There aren't a lot of modern distractions (other than the ones we bring) inside the fort, and it's a well-equipped site.

It's also a great place for fighting. Some years they even do battles through the gates of the fort, although I didn't see any of those this year. I think they still had fun - and my weapon-sock had the chance to get acquainted with other weapons, so it had fun, too.


I spent most of the day knitting, but I managed to work in a bit of shopping (now I have a fun book on medieval and Renaissance dice games, and a cool Viking hat), and took a class on Persian woven buttons, so I can improve some of my garb.

We also took some time to walk around and enjoy the site. The fort overlooks the Maumee river, with a rather commanding view of the route inland from Lake Erie.


And you can see that the cannon can still be loaded with something dangerous! Pow! Bang!


I haven't made as much progress as I'd like to on the sock - because Thursday night I decided I really needed a new outfit. So I spent Thursday night (when I should have been resting) and Friday night (when I should have been knitting) on my new blue Viking dress. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out, and I'm sure I'll like it even better once I've hemmed it.


The new dress isn't the only reason I'm smiling in this picture. Notice anything else new?

Like this?

It was a very exciting weekend.

Aaron proposed Saturday evening, and of course I said yes! He sneaked out Friday morning, while we were getting ready for the event, to buy the ring - and I never caught on. I didn't even know what was coming when he suggested we take a walk to look at the river - I really thought he just wanted to admire the view. Right now I'm just too happy to find words to describe how happy I am!

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Eric Fischer said...

Congratulations!

2:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

congrats!

Luveday (the lurker)

3:00 PM  
Blogger LotusKnits said...

congrats!! and yay for the SCA fun!

7:06 PM  
Blogger alimum said...

congratulations

8:58 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

OH. MY. GAWD!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! :):):)

8:22 AM  
Blogger larheel said...

Congratulations!!

5:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

12:42 AM  
Blogger Quinn said...

eee!!! congratulations!

2:40 PM  
Blogger Sean said...

Congratulations... So have you guys set a date?? It is great.

2:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home