Saturday, March 01, 2008

Audacity

I had a moment of terror the other day when Aaron delivered a squishy package to me at work. Was I going to die from a Hat Attack, right in the middle of the library? The return address offered no clues or reassurance, so I very delicately opened the envelope.

And found this. My new "Audacity" Yarn, from Black Bunny Fibers. It's a delightfully soft superwash merino, hand-dyed in gold, brown, and rust. I hope it will be perfect for one of the upcoming Sock Madness socks, or maybe a Sock Pentathlon sock, or maybe just a sock I design for fun. And it's special yarn, because Carol, the dyer, is donating $15 for each skein sold to the Obama campaign. So I'm doing a good deed by buying yarn - it's hard to beat that.


Here's the skein in a ball, so it's all ready to go if I decide to use it for one of the upcoming sock challenges. I have a feeling I'm going to be buying a lot of yarn soon - Sock Madness goes through 8 rounds, and Sock Pentathlon 5 - and since I don't know what the patterns will look like, I'll need to have a wide selection of yarns available. I don't want to use yarn I really love for a pattern that doesn't excite me, but if I'm going to go to the trouble of knitting a weird pattern I want to use yarn I like. It's a good thing I'm not trying a yarn diet right now - although if I were, yarn for a good cause wouldn't count.


And although I've cut back on knitting this week to enjoy Aaron's visit, I couldn't resist finishing this - my "Yes, We Can" hat. Giant Stuffed Catfish like Barack Obama, too. March is coming in like a lamb for the next couple of days, but the local weather guy is predicting a colder than normal month, so finishing the hat is kind of an important project. I want to wear it now while there's still some need to drum up excitement - and I hope it will be much too warm for wool hats by our May primary. I wasn't sure how it would work out, but I'm pleased to report that the hat fits. It's 120 stitches around, on size 5 needles, made from Cascade 220. I've duplicate stitched on the Obama logo, following Jeneanw's chart.


Incidentally an afghan made from the same chart, and all sorts of other fabulous fibery prizes, are available in the Ravelry Knitters for Obama raffle. Check out their page at my.barackobama.com for details!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Lynnette said...

I'm so impressed you're still alive! I died soon after killing my target--with a hat that didn't fit :( Such a bummer!

That yarn is beautiful! And you did a great job on the Obama hat! I have to finish mine this weekend (hopefully!)

1:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh ... it's such a surprise to realize that I'm not the only one in the world with a giant stuffed catfish pillow! haha

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home