Wednesday, January 20, 2010

For Mothers and Babies

The Meret is finished, and blocking. Now I just have to wait for it to dry, then it's ready to ship. I'm not sure it will get there in time for Mom's birthday, but I'm not sure I want to go out to the post office, anyway. Everything is covered in ice right now, so there's no point in leaving home (or chipping out my car) if I don't have to.


It appears to be big enough, and it appears to be the right shape - snug around the ears, but loose on top. With the blocking, it should also appear to have a nice lace pattern. Properly blocking a beret can be a challenge, but I hope that just stretching the top over a dinner plate will do the job.


While that dries, I have a new project in progress - gifts for friends who are expecting their first child in February. I stocked up on Encore Colorspun on Saturday (I'm not a big acrylic fan, but this is a nice yarn for people who don't want to handwash), so I can get through some baby projects. I cast on this Iceland Tri-Corner Hat yesterday, and probably would have finished it last night if I hadn't messed up.


You can see here that I didn't pay attention to the direction of the grafting, and wound up with one of the tails in the center. I just wasn't in the mood to pick out stitches right before bed. But now it's all done, and I hope it's baby-sized. I modified the pattern to use the worsted-weight yarn, so it's Size 6 needles and I cast on 64 stitches. The i-cord tails are about 2" long, which may be just a bit much. I think babies have big heads. Does anyone know if babies have big heads?

I'm not so sure that they have big feet, though, so I think these may get frogged. I'm planning to make a pair of the Multicolored Sockies from Socks, Socks, Socks, but my Size 4 needles have produced an awfully big sole. Whatever size they wind up being, I'm likely to have a baby gift finished before the baby is born. Then I'll have just three more babies to go. For now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home