Sunday, March 09, 2008

Spring Break

I don't have to go to work today and
it's the first day of Spring Break and
it's actually getting a bit warmer and
Daylight Savings Time starts today, so we get to enjoy more sunlight (and the dogs will sleep later)!

What better way to celebrate than by wearing colorful socks?



These are my new socks from Michelle. It's hard to get pictures that show off the beautiful patternwork on the cuffs when dogs are trying to stand on my chest and lick my face, or sit on the ottoman that's holding the socks, or fight on the ottoman that's holding the socks - but I'm doing the best I can.


I haven't had a chance to talk to Michelle, but I suspect the yarn is Socks that Rock, and I think the pattern is a shorter and bobble-less version of these socks. She has a beautiful pair of Fair Isle Socks that Rock socks of her own, and it's possible that I may have said one or two admiring things about them. Whatever they are, they're lovely. This is day three of my new-sock-wearing binge, and the thrill hasn't worn off.

I intend to be productive over break too. Clean a bit... maybe get organized... or bake cookies. These are Oatmeal Cranberry Cookies, from the Paula Deen cookbook Mimiwonton gave me when she was my Secret Pal. So I've been somewhat productive, and now I'll be well-provisioned as I try to Get Stuff Done.


Does knitting count as Getting Stuff Done? If so, I'm feeling pretty good - I finished the first Jacobean sock last night, and started on sock #2.

I keep being pleasantly surprised by these socks. I wasn't thrilled by the pattern, initially, and I didn't think the yarn was working very well. However, when I tried the sock on it looked quite nice and the pattern really popped out. I could even learn to like the magic cast-on toes, although I'm still not so sure about the short-row heels.

But I'm not going to savor this knitting project for long. It's very important that I finish these socks before Thursday, so I'm all ready to go with Sock Madness! I'll run out of my sockday socks then, too, so I have even more incentive to finish - Sockday Round II is a long way away!

2 Comments:

Blogger Carolyn said...

You are one lucky girl!!! I love those socks from Michelle!! I'm so glad you are enjoying the Paula Dean cookbook. I have it too but haven't tried those cookies yet. After seeing yours I may have to try them too!

7:23 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

You are right Laura. The socks are those socks. I made the legs a bit shorted because mine felted a bit after wearing and washing them so much. I figured shorter cuffs would be easier to get on if that happens to you too. The yarn is STR midweight in Farmhouse and Watermelon Touramaline. I hope you like wearing them. I really love mine. :-)

7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home