Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Finish Line

I am a Knitting Olympian.

Four years ago, the Yarn Harlot created the Knitting Olympics. I made a pair of socks, and looked at her project in wonder, wondering " what kind of #&%^* maniac tries to knit a sweater in two weeks?"

Tonight I finished a sweater.

It was another busy day. We had a three-hour visit for a house-painting estimate (anyone ever use College Works Painters?), then went to meet the baby who received my hat and booties. So it was 5:30 before I sat down in front of the TV with five pattern rows and a garter stitch band to go on my second sleeve. I'd sneakily woven in all the available ends while the painters were here, so they wouldn't stand between me and the finish line.

I was binding off by 7:15, while NBC was still showing the pre-Closing Ceremonies highlights.


At 7:22, I had a sweater. There was just enough time to post to the Ravelympics finish line and sit down to the delicious dinner Aaron made before the Closing Ceremonies started.


Doing the finishing bits as I went proved to be a really good idea. I had just one end to weave in before I could put on the sweater and go stand in the kitchen looking smug, waiting for Aaron to look up from his salad preparations and notice. Pictures of the sweater being worn will follow - I have tried Aaron's patience enough for one day by leaving him to serve me dinner as I knitted.

Further Olympic Knitting projects did not go so well. According to the Ravelry rules, I have until midnight Pacific Time, so I could stay up until 2am and knit. But I could also go to sleep like a sensible person. I lost a lot of knitting time looking for the yarn for my planned second and third projects (yes, I know I could have pulled the yarn out earlier, but that would have eaten into my knitting time for the first project), and while I was looking for yarn Oscar the EvenWorseDog made it very clear that he was upset that I was neglecting his "take me outside" request in order to look for yarn. So I lost even more knitting time cleaning up.

I think I'm going for option #2. There's nothing that says I can't make chemo caps as a Paralympics project.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home