Friday, June 13, 2008

Tentacles

I'm in Kentucky, on a trip to celebrate Aaron's father's birthday.

It was a pretty scary trip down - rain almost all the way. Indiana has had way more rain than it needs, and it keeps coming. I was relieved to find out that my Southern Indiana family was largely unharmed by all the flooding, but that's not true for a whole lot of people. And the rain keeps coming.

I'm really glad we got here when we did, because this is what we saw blowing in after we arrived.


But there's a silver lining to every cloud, right? And light at the end of tunnels? In this case it's more of a wooly lining, kept at Stone's Throw Artisans. We discovered this little Georgetown gem thanks to Ravelry, and since I'd lost a needle for my Audacity socks, we really had to make a stop. And look around. And so I picked up some Wildfoote yarn, too - a new brand for me!

The Audacity socks are only a backup project. Right now, I'm working on my bag for the Hogwarts Swap - it's the "Jester Tentacles" bag from Cat Bordhi's Second Treasury of Magical Knitting. I checked this out awhile ago from the library, and it fell under my "three copies" rule (if I see more than 3 projects that I'd be tempted to photocopy, I definitely need to buy the book). But this is my first attempt at Moebius knitting, and so far it's going reasonably well.

The cast on was a little tricky, because it's easily possible for your needle to be too long, and I don't think the book really indicates this. I used a 48" circular needle, and the Moebius band was seriously stretched as I worked it. This isn't a problem for something that's going to be felted, but if I keep up with this I'm definitely stepping down to a 36" needle.


Her directions also require you to buy a lot of needles - using a 16" circular for the basket or bowl portions, and then 2 circulars as you decrease. Since I rarely use anything larger than size 4, I don't want to buy a whole bunch of bigger needles. So I'm using magic loop - it's slower, but it keeps the needle purchases under control. So far the bag is progressing nicely, the directions are perfectly clear if followed one step at a time, and I'm looking forward to the finished product.


I haven't completely neglected the Audacity sock. We
were in Indianapolis on Wednesday night to check out a potential wedding caterer, and the sock saw this at a nearby bar.


The really amusing part? This seems to be the main concern. What kind of people visit this bar, if noise is their biggest problem?!? Wouldn't "don't crash airplanes into the roof" be a better courtesy to offer the neighborhood?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home