Saturday, June 14, 2008

Amanda's Sockday

Amanda's Sockday is today. I'm not going to be able to be there, but she'll be too busy getting her socks to see this, so I can go ahead and post the picture.

These are probably the last Turkish socks I'm going to make in a very long time. I love Turkish socks, but after two years of sockdays the picking-up-heels and weaving-in-ends parts are starting to get kind of tedious.

At least Amanda, unlike Michelle, gets woven-in ends. Because we're out of town, I had to finish Amanda's socks early. So after a few days of frantic knitting, I delivered them to River Knits on Wednesday - and even had time to steam them a little. (I wish I'd done that for all my socks. I think they looked a lot nicer after steaming. Usually, I just expect all the tension issues to shake out in wearing - but this makes for better photographs.)

These socks, like most of the others, are from Dale Falk yarn. Most of the patterns are from Anna Zilboorg's Simply Socks, and the dancing figures are from Charted Peasant Designs from Saxon Transylvania. It, by the way, is an excellent book for anyone interested in historical counted-thread work. Unlike most of Dover's other pattern collections, this one gives the source for every pattern in the book.

I'm sorry to miss the last sockday, and more than a little sad to say goodbye to these socks. I think they may be the best ones I've done, although I've had that feeling about all of them. Either I'm continually improving, or I'm fickle.

Hmm...I wonder if there's a way to get all the socks together again? Maybe we need a Sockday Reunion!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Charlotte kaae said...

Amazing these turkis socks, understand why you are laying this turkis socknitting away for some time. What a big work... but what are you then going to knit?

10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very impressive!! I knit socks too, but these seem a bit "fussy" for my knitting... but a challenge!! (SP12 buddy)

3:10 PM  
Blogger Yvette said...

Lordy, those are incredible! I am amazed at your skill. You should be proud.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Maribeth said...

Wow, Laura, those are beautiful socks - I love the colors you picked! They do look like a lot of work. I bet Amanda loves them!

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home