Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Every Day's a Holiday

The Ravelry Valentine exchange was so much fun that we're doing it again - regularly, for those who want to participate. So I've signed up for March - to send out cards for the holiday of my choice. It's a bit difficult to pick - but I finally decided, and spent last night making cool cards (which I'll show off in a couple of days).

My friend David took a "Circles and Triangles" class when he was in college. At the time, I thought that sounded like a pretty silly topic for a math major. But take a look at my clever handmade card. And take a look at the envelope that's sitting on top of the card, while allowing the card's edges to show. Looks like I haven't mastered the rectangle yet. So I spent the morning with a paper trimmer, skimming tiny strips of the edges of my cards. Now I'm ready for one of the many holidays that falls during March!


That may have been the most exciting part of a day of laundry and errands. But every day's a special day when you're wearing beautiful handmade socks! I thought about postponing my sock-wearing for more special events, but the sheer joy of a week of new socks is a special event all by itself.

Today's socks are by Elizabeth, and are Leslie's Double Eyelet Socks in Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sport - one of my favorite sock yarns ever. They're just a little bit lacy and dainty, but still warm and sturdy - perfect for a day like this, when spring and sunshine are just peeking through the lingering snow. These will see me through those spring and fall days of not- quite- barefoot weather, and still be toasty enough for when I need something lacy in the winter.


I've learned that the sock excitement will continue after I've worn all my sockday socks, because Sock Madness kicks off this Thursday! We're told to think "scary" for the first colorway. I'm not sure how scary any of these are, but these are the possibilities I have in mind for the first socks. I've spent the evening getting everything balled up and ready to go.


I've had the enjoyment of watching CNN (with a little South Park thrown in) as I wind yarn - and watching Barack Obama win another primary. I don't know if the primary is lookin' as good as he claims to in briefs or boxers, but I'm optimistic. And if you'd like to get in on the Obama action in a fibery way, one of the Ravelry knitters has opened the Knitters (or Crocheters) for Obama online store. If you use the coupon ZAZZLE08VOTE, you can get 15% off your order. Looks like I'll be adding to my knitting t-shirt collection again!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home