Thursday, March 20, 2008

The Boss

Does anyone still call him that?

Aaron's back in town, and, by delightful coincidence, so are Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band! In the interest of treating Aaron's jet lag, we went to the concert with my brother and my sister-in-law, who are BIG Springsteen geeks.

Anne got us awesome seats. The coach of the Indiana Pacers was sitting just a few rows in front of us. Some of the Pacers were actually behind us, but since they were in a box, I suspect their seats were considered better. Since we were only 18 rows up I'm willing to debate that - the show had been going on for awhile before I even realized there were TV screens, since our view was so good.


I took knitting, of course. (The pictures are bad because they're with my cell phone camera.) I put some thought into coming up with a project I could get in the building, and went for one that matched my winter coat, so it would be less noticeable. The project is yellow, but beyond that it's kind of a surprise - more on it later. It's a good thing I succeeded in my yarn smuggling, because the concert started about an hour late.


We got our money's worth, though - a 2 1/2 hour show, without even an intermission. And these guys are old - I don't see how they can go on that long. The regular keyboardist is out being treated for melanoma (Aaron points out that you know the rockers are aging when they get cancer treatment instead of drug treatment), but he showed up to play a handful of songs - for the first time during the tour, which was a real treat. (Did I mention that Jimmy & Anne are Springsteen geeks? They knew all these things. They knew all the band members by name, and noticed when one had taken up a new instrument. They knew all the songs. I recognized 3, and was feeling pretty good about that.) You can see that the yarn had a really good time. I hope its intended recipient is a Springsteen fan.


The venue was very hospitable, too, with yarn holders provided at every seat. How cool is that? Is there a basketball version of Stitch-n-Pitch?


I didn't knit during the concert. I danced, and Aaron stayed awake, so it was a success for both of us. This is the first concert I've been to where no one was smoking - not even pot, much. And people flash their cell-phone lights for an encore now instead of lighters. I thought that was just a joke for commercials. I'd feel old, but I think we were the young people in the audience. Maybe the knitting keeps me young.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home