Saturday, March 14, 2009

Still Knitting - Sort of

So it's been awhile since I've had anything to post.

At least I've finally published the two that were just waiting for me to send them. So now it's time for some catch-up.

Catch-up # 1 is the Phaedra Sock. I just finished the first one today. This doesn't really keep me on track for Sock Club, because we're supposed to start a new pair of socks at the end of the month, but at least I'm making progress. Managing the striping across the heel and the soles is less than fun, especially since it means carrying yarn across the plain rows of the instep, but the result is awfully pretty. I've cast on the second sock, and have a lot of Spring Break traveling ahead of me, so I hope to have a full pair of socks by the end of the week.


Catch-up #2 is a new hat - Wavy Gravy VI. I know I've said some things about not starting new projects, but this one was essential. It may be Spring Break, but I'm not sure it's ever going to be spring. We've had below-average temperatures since January, and there's just been one bleak, cold day after another, with the occasional nice one thrown in just to taunt us. I'm afraid it's going to be cold on my wedding day, in July.


So I needed a hat, and in a hurry. I've been wearing the Hat Attack 2 hat, but it's just too darn itchy. The logical choice for a pattern was Wavy Gravy, since I've made so many of them, and they're a quick knit. In an attempt to come up with winter wear that's "not too knitty," as the Yarn Harlot's daughter says, I thought it would be nice if the hat went with my lovely Moebius Scarf.

This is what I came up with. It's the leftover Knit Picks Cadena from my Versatility shawl, held together with the handspun I used for the Moebius scarf. As with a couple of the other Wavy Gravy hats, I left off a pattern repeat because I was running out of yarn. This turned out to be a Very Good Thing, because the Bulky-weight Cadena makes a rather larger hat than the Aran-weight Kureyon, so the hat is almost too big as it is. But it's not quite too big, it covers my ears, and it's perfectly warm.

I finished the hat around noon today. It got up into the 50s this afternoon. And it's not getting cold tonight.

If we do get spring this year, I invoked it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so happy you're back! Now I can stop worrying that you're sick. The basket is fabulous and I'm sure your wedding shawl will be stunning. Happy knitting! VREDE en VREUGDE Linda Shields

7:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home