Sunday, December 14, 2008

Merry Christmas Meme

I stole this Christmas meme from Amanda. Since I'm not finishing knitting or getting much decorating done, this is my best shot at some Christmas spirit for now.

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags?
Wrapping paper. I've tried to be good and use newspaper and such, but I've learned that I really like the festive sight of a pile of gaily wrapped packages under the tree.

2. Real tree or Artificial?
Artificial. Absolutely. Always. Have you ever read Hans Christian Andersen's "The Fir Tree?" I don't recommend it. I'd cry all month if I brought a real dead tree into the house. Do not, in the name of all that is holy, ever read this story to your children! Ever. I'm surprised I can still celebrate Christmas.

3. When do you put up the tree?
The weekend after Thanksgiving. "When do you decorate the tree?" seems to be another question, one that I can't answer yet.

4. When do you take the tree down?
Twelfth Night - or just after, if I have a Twelfth Night party.

5. Do you like eggnog?
Real eggnog, yes. The stuff from the stores is an ok drink, but I'd be ashamed to say that I liked something so fake.

6. Favorite gift received as a child?
Hmmm...that's tough. One year my brother and I got a pedal-powered car as a joint present. That was pretty darned cool.

7. Hardest person to buy for?
Aaron's parents. I want to get them something nice, but don't want to fill their house up with stuff they don't need.

8. Easiest person to buy for?
Karen. There are a couple things she collects, so it's easy to follow the theme.

9. Do you have a nativity scene?
Yes. It was a gift from Aaron's parents.

10. Mail or email Christmas cards?
Mail. But sometimes they're New Year's cards.

11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received?
A "Sorry" game. The givers couldn't have known, but that had become the favorite among some members of my family, and I was positively sick of it.

12. Favorite Christmas Movie?
White Christmas.

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas?
I keep my eyes open all the time. I'm cheap, have a lot of people to buy for, and want to get good stuff.

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present?
No, but I can't say that I wouldn't.

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?
It's hard to pick. I'll say cranberries, in all sorts of things.

16. Lights on the tree?
Yes, and they must be colored. Plain white lights make it look like you're a yuppie trying to "style" for a decorating magazine. (With apologies to white-light lovers, yuppies, and interior decorators!)

17. Favorite Christmas song?
White Christmas!

18. Travel at Christmas or stay home?
Travel - which means going home. And then more travel.

19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer?
Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner/Dunder, Blitzen. And Rudolph. And we may have to start adding Bailey to that list.

20. Angel on the tree top or a star?
I'm still looking for the perfect tree topper. For the last few years, it's been either an American Flag or a Santa hat. But when I find something I like, it will probably be an angel or a star.

21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning?
Christmas day, now. When I was a kid, we'd get to open one present (officially from Mom & Dad) on Christmas Eve, then get "Santa's" presents Christmas morning.

22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year?
The complaints about the "War on Christmas." Now that Kathleen Hudson's gone it's much less nasty around her, but it's also a lot less funny.

23. Favorite ornament theme or color?
I like to buy ornaments as travel souvenirs - that's the closest I come to having a theme.

24. Favorite for Christmas dinner?
Turkey for dinner, and Chinese food for supper.

25. What do you want for Christmas this year?
Everyone wants to know that! A sturdy silver chain to hold my engagement ring when I'm not wearing it is at the top of my wish list.

26. Lights, blinking or always on?
Always on. I like the chasing lights and the twinkle lights well enough, but I'm less fond of the ones that just blink. But what's really important is that they're colored!


Merry Christmas and everything else!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home