Thursday, November 13, 2008

Back to Knitting

I think the post-election high is wearing off. I went from "yay, we elected a President!" to "yikes, I have to write a really depressing paper!" to "oops, I haven't cleaned house in two weeks." So that helps me come down to earth and focus, a bit. Plus, I just had my stitches out, so there goes my excuse for not washing dishes.

Surgery on my middle finger made housekeeping and typing more difficult, but didn't really get in the way of the knitting. I've started a new project - the Dobby-Style Sockmark in Gryffindor colors. It's a little something for the HSKS6 swap, but I won't worry about sharing it because there will be plenty of other loot in the package!

This is NOT, by the way, an easy pattern! There aren't any instructions for the heel, and since you're doing one heel toe-up and the other cuff-down, it helps to have a selection of heels handy. I think the toe-up heel from the Roman Rib Socks looks best, but I had no luck getting it to work on the smaller sock - I don't remember where I was working on this, but I was somewhat distracted. So I went with an afterthought heel, but I'm not very pleased with the way it looks. She recommends a short-row heel, but I hate short-row heels. So I don't know what I'll do if I try this pattern again.

I'm also gearing up to start a new project for me - "Versatility," from the current Knitty. I placed my first-ever Knitpicks order, getting some goodies for me and some to share. I didn't want to use the Lamb's Pride yarn from the pattern, because I'm not fond of the mohair. So I hope the Cadena is a suitable substitute. I'd also planned to do this in blue, but made a last-minute switch to the gray. I think it will be more versatile and more useful - we'll see what happens. I hope to have this finished in time for a planned January trip or two.

I know what I'll be knitting on those trips already. This fun little kit - the Bellini Lace Shawl from Morehouse yarns - showed up in my mailbox just before the election. It was a surprise thank-you from Fran, known as Mustknit on Ravelry - I'd sent her some Obama buttons and some Hillary-themed yarn. (She's a big Hillary supporter, but came over to help the Obama campaign as soon as the nomination was certain. So when I saw Black Bunny's "Sisterhood" yarn, I knew she had to have some!) I hope to be casting on this shawl around the Inauguration - something to keep me warm, and remind me of how much fun it was to meet people over the campaign.

By the way, if you're on Ravelry, check out Mustknit's "Lady Liberty" sweaters. Prepare to be amazed.

This weekend is another trip to Bloomington, to reclaim the dogs. I won't have to make do with puppycam anymore. And now that I have all 10 fingers working again, I'll need another excuse for not getting things done around the house.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home