Monday, July 16, 2007

The Friday Night Knitting Club

I've just finished reading The Friday Night Knitting Club, by Kate Jacobs, and wow, I'm impressed. I started it last night, read as much as I could this morning, and wound up carrying it to work with me so I wouldn't have to wait until tonight to finish. Not bad for a book that I thought I wouldn't like, and just picked up for the subject.

The story is set in Manhattan, and revolves around an impromptu knitting get-together that developed in a yarn store owned by a single mother. The author weaves together the stories of the knitters, the shop owner's daughter, and a few outside characters together through multiple narrative viewpoints, making all the characters - even the bad guys - seem sympathetic, likeable, and real. (For the sack of accuracy, I'll mention that "bad" may be too strong a word for many of them, but I don't want to give much away.)

There are no grand adventures here - just a few life changes, some advice, and a bit of knitting. But Jacobs has created a club that anyone would want to join - and just as with the knitting club, you don't have to actually knit to enjoy her book!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home