Sunday, April 20, 2008


Now that my latest victim is safely dead, I can turn my knitting attention back to a longer-term project.

I may have mentioned once or twice that the Yarn Harlot is coming to town soon, and so I want to have something ready for her.

Here it is - or at least a significant part of it. Knitting checkers like this is far more challenging than I expected. It's basically entrelac, but not diagonal - I knit a square, start another, join the end of each row to the previous square, then pick up stitches for another square, and do a lot more picking up and joining. The hard part was figuring out what would go in which direction - every time I thought I'd worked it all out, I'd realize that I was overlooking something. Fortunately, it finally made sense once I started knitting, more or less.

I knew it would be kind of fiddly, but what I didn't know is that I'd have to purl every other set of squares, in order to avoid unsightly lines in the color changes.

So that means there's a right side and a wrong side. Which totally defeats the purpose of using garter stitch - or at least one of the purposes. The texture will still come in handy.

Aaron thinks it's odd that I'm going to more trouble to knit for a stranger than I do for friends. But I doubt most of my friends - even my dear friends - would have much appreciation for fiddly knitted squares. Now I just have to do a bunch more of them before the 29th!


Post a Comment

<< Home