Monday, September 22, 2008

Done Dyeing

The most recent thing I've learned about dyeing is that wet yarn takes a long time to dry.

But after two days of shifting skeins around every time anyone wanted to shower, I have my yarn, all reskeined and ready to go. We were invited to bring eight 1/2 ounce skeins of yarn, plus anything extra, so I prepared Louet Gems Pearl for the first batch, and Tofutsies for the second. All together, I used about two skeins of the Gems, and a full ball of the Tofutsies.

Here's the Gems. The dyes are:

Pokeberry
Cochineal
Padauk
Goldenrod
Marigold
Osage Orange
Goldenrod overdyed with Indigo
Indigo
Indigo (very late in the dyebath)
Black Walnut

And here's the Tofutsies; just eight skeins:

Pokeberry
Cochineal
Padauk
Goldenrod
Marigold
Osage Orange
Black Walnut
Indigo

The plies of the Tofutsies are clearly two types of yarn - one took the dye, and the other didn't nearly as well.

The next step is to decide how to best use all this wonderful yarn. The pokeberry's color is pretty fugitive, but the others should stay put. I'm thinking socks from the Tofutsies, and maybe a bag from the wool. But I'll let that all wait for a bit, while I finish other projects. Maybe by the time I'm ready to use this I'll have dyed more yarn myself.

3 Comments:

Blogger Astormorray said...

the tofutsies look gorgeous. :D I'm planning socks, too, but probably won't get around to it before, say, spring.

7:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the reason your godenrod overdyed with indigo is more blue than green is because the strong alkali bath of the indigo acutally can strip your previously dyed color...try doing indigo first then dye with goldenrod and see if that yeilds more of a green color.

10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and beautiful results by the way lol

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home