Monday, May 18, 2009

It Must Be May

It's time to visit the Indianapolis Motor Speedway!

We headed over yesterday for the 4th day of qualifying. There was a pleasant surprise when we got there - Janet Guthrie and Lyn St. James were conducting a question & answer session. So we got to hear from them even before we went inside.

Somewhere, I have a picture of me with Janet at her first race. I'll have to find it to post later. It was the coolest thing in the world when she started racing - before that, I never knew who I'd be when we played race drivers, but after 1977, I was always Janet Guthrie.

So then it was time to head inside, and it was a lively day of qualifying! Quite a few drivers took advantage of the great weather to re-qualify with better speeds, so there was something going on all day. There was plenty of knitting, too - I had my yarn, and several other Ravelry knitters showed up. It was crowded enough that most of us didn't find each other, but I got to hang out with Clare (who doesn't have a blog) and her family. The Speedway is such a great place for kids.

This was the beginning of one of the most exciting moments of the day - John Andretti's successful qualifying run. He'd been bumped earlier in the day, and it looked like he just wasn't going to find the speed. That would have been kind of sad, since he's a NASCAR racer who's returned to the fold, and for the sake of his family it would be nice to see him do well here. The redneck fans were pretty excited because Andretti's team owner is the famous Richard Petty, so they wanted to see Richard do well at Indy. And he made it with just minutes to go - putting up the time and making for an exciting last hour.

It was an exciting day for socks, too. The Spring Forward socks and I have a new favorite driver - E.J. Viso. Isn't he cute? And he's obviously a good guy, since he's willing to hold a sock.

He spent every spare moment posing for pictures and signing autographs. A lot of drivers are good about meeting with fans, but E.J. was really good - especially since he had to re-qualify. He had a deal going with his crew that for every place he dropped in the qualifying order, they could paint one of his fingernails pink. He got to take the polish off at the end of the day, though - and I hope he'll be celebrating next Sunday!

It was also a productive day for socks - here's the finished pair of Spring Forward socks. So that's the March/April Sock Club socks finished - I'm going to miss the May Sock Club, but if I were going to be there, I'd be done just in time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home