Thursday, August 23, 2007

Half a Sockday, with a bonus

Today was Heather's sockday. I'm sure she'll blog all about it soon, so I won't share too many details. She was really looking forward to it.

But I will share my own sock. Note that I say sock. With all that's gone on, the second sock is only half-finished, so I'm afraid I wasn't properly ready for Heather's sockday. But it will be awhile before she can wear socks, anyway, so I think I'll have them done in time for her. And she got a pair of bonus socks - albeit orange Red Heart socks - so she's not too far down.

This sock is another Turkish-style one, with the main pattern taken from Anna Zilboorg's Simply Socks. There's a small diamond pattern on the sole. This sock isn't as complicated as it looks, because I used Dale Baby Ull for the red, and Regia Crazy Color for the mostly-green contrast color. If I ever teach a class on Turkish socks, I intend to encourage the use of self-striping yarn. I hope I'll have the second one finished before Sock Club on Saturday, although I don't know how likely that is.

There are bits of good news to report. Aaron found a friend to drive him out to get the part for my car. Walter's Auto Import Repair is one of the coolest places in town. Walter is best known as the expert at keeping old Volkswagens running, but he got the part for my Honda in 24 hours. His entire lot is covered with cool European cars in various states of repair and disrepair; a shiny Volkswagen Golf parked with a Porsche with '80s plates and a rusting-out Rolls Royce. I want to own a Beetle just so I have an excuse to go out there again.

Aaron's trip (and his auto-repairing might, since I wasn't able to get this part out by myself), means that at least we have one working car, even if it is a 1989 Honda Accord with a squirrely engine and a leaky roof. So that's good news. The bad news is that our refrigerator died last night, and so far we haven't been able to get anything done about it. So thank you, everyone who's sent knitterly good wishes. I intend to send personal thank-yous, but that may have to wait until I'm not using a borrowed computer.

Tip for the day: Don't use the windshield washer if your sunroof is open!

And one more bit of good news - the Dish Rag Tag box was delivered today. Go, POST knITS!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home