Here's my questionnaire for Secret Pal 8
Hi everyone and welcome to SP8!
Here is the questionnaire for this round.
It's very important to post your answers to your blogs in a spot that your pal can easily find them. Please be sure to post your answers by the end of this week. Your pal is certain to be anxious to get spoiling you! :-)
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?I like natural fibers - I use a lot of soft, superwash wool. Cotton and silk are cool too. I've never knit with linen. I don't like cheap acrylics, or really any synthetic fibers. I've never tried using novelty yarns, so I don't know if I'd like them or hate them.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?The pockets of a vintage suitcase.
3. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?I've been knitting off and on for 25 years, but I just picked up again in earnest a few years ago. I'd say I'm an advanced knitter - I usually manage to learn new stuff quickly, and on my own.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?My Amazon wish list is here.
5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)I usually like milder scents - light florals like lilac, or some of the foresty or rainy blends. I've been known to buy the vanilla/spice or fruity candles so it smells like I've been cooking. I'd say that I probably don't like really strong, sweet florals. But I can't stop buying Partylite samplers, so I must like variety, too!
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?I like sweet stuff, but I don't eat too much of it - I prefer baked goods over candy, usually. I have something of a weakness for Wint-O-Green Life Savers, and Chick-O-Sticks. (I've never noticed the "O" pattern before! Can I include Lik-a-maid, or will that ruin it?) Chocolate gives me migranes, so I only eat the really good, really dark stuff - especially with mint or nuts!
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?Many, many things. I spin, with a drop spindle. I sew - clothes and smaller things. I do all kinds of needlework. I make glass beads. I make jewelry with beads. I cook - mostly desserts. I do origami. I do needle felting, as well as felting knitted things.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)I like to think I have pretty eclectic tastes, although the last hip new CD I bought was Pink Floyd's "The Division Bell." Generally, I'll listen to rock, classical, or showtunes! My computer plays MP3s.
9. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?Blue. And purple and green. Generally I like cool, jewel-toned, or bright color pallettes. But pastels can be ok, too. My least favorite color would be the '70s combinations, but any color can be nice under the right circumstances!
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?I have a boyfriend who I spend a lot of time with, and we share one Very Bad Dog.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?Hats and mittens sometimes. I don't have anything against scarves. I've never made a poncho, but toasty shawls are on my to-knit list.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?Socks!!!
13. What are you knitting right now?Fluted Bannister Socks in Lorna's Laces Rainbow, Bavarian Strolling Socks in Dalegarn Baby Ull, Fidalgo Feet Socks in Gems Merino, Bulgarian Socks in Baby Ull, 2 sweaters, and a very tiny pouch in #12 Perle cotton.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?Yep. Like to make 'em, too.
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?Crystal Palace are my current favorite knitting needles. Wood/bamboo and plastic are good. I use 5 straight needles for socks, and circular for just about everything else, but that's not a strong preference.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?No.
17. How did you learn to knit?Learned in Bluebirds, my crazy aunt taught me, and I sat down with a book. It took 3 tries to stick.
18. How old is your oldest UFO?Nearly 31 years, but it's not knitting, it's needlepoint. For those who want to do the math, it was a present for my 3rd birthday. For knitting and crochet, 10 years if you count everything, less than a year for the stuff that's really likely to get finished.
19. What is your favorite holiday?Race Day, and the 4th of July.
20. Is there anything that you collect?Besides yarn? Coins and banknotes, sort of (just cheap ones). Handmade glass beads. Old buttons, especially with cut steels. A few hedgehog and 'possum knick-knacks. Colored aluminum kitchenware. Fish stuff of all kinds. I buy a lot of books, if that counts as "collecting." You can see what I've been reading here.
21. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?No knitting magazine subscriptions. Right now I'm hoping my Local Yarn Store will get in more of the Lorna's Laces "Baltic Sea" Yarn. Finding really fine silk yarns (or silky looking cotton) would be cool. I keep hearing about this "Socks that Rock" yarn - it sounds pretty neat.
22. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?I want to make my own toe socks. I've never done entrelac, so that might be fun.I'd really like to learn more fun textured patterns that I can use in socks. Socks on 2 circular needles - especially 2 at a time - is probably at the top of the "to learn" list.
23. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?Yes. But I'm at work right now, so I'll have to follow up with foot measurements later.
24. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)June 15.